Good Morning and Happy Easter Everyone!
I thought I should take some time to update the blog so that those who are following know what has been happening in our lives.
As most of you are aware, we have relocated to the Austin Texas area. We've been here about 3 weeks now. I took a job with Bird Electric at a very attractive salary and am working on running the strand wire which is the infrastructure required to run Fiber Optic Cable. That is really all that I can say about it. It is hard, physical work out in the warm Texas sun. While I can't say that I "love" the work, I can say that I've done less pleasant jobs in the past. The money is good however.
Shortly after arriving in Austin, I soon realized that there is a Dunkin Doughnuts about 3 miles away. So one Sunday a couple of weeks ago I decided that I really wanted to have a Dunkin Coffee. Tonya wanted some Boston Crème Doughnuts too. So, off I went. When I got about a mile up the road, the car stalled in traffic. It would not re-start. I pushed it into the breakdown lane and called Tonya. Long story short - We called the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance program that we are members of and had it towed back to the campground. My analyzing computer was showing a code for a bad "cam shaft sensor." I knew it was more than that though. The car sounded different when trying to turn it over.
On Monday Tonya called the Kia dealership and they promptly came over and picked up the car to take it to South Austin to look at it. They told us the Cam Sensor was not covered under the warrantee and that they could not diagnose it until they replaced it at a cost of $230.00. I won't even get started on what my thoughts are about that, but suffice it to say - I was not impressed. They replaced the cam sensor and called us back to tell us that the car still would not start. They said that they'd have to wait until Monday (a whole week after they picked up the car), to further diagnose it. I told them at that point that I felt it was the timing belt that had gone.
The following Monday while I was at work they called Tonya to tell her that the engine was junk because it is designed in such a way that when the timing belt goes, it ruins the valves. It was the timing belt that had gone and that the car was not covered under warrantee because we had not had the timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles. We told them to do nothing more and that we'd be there the following day to tow the car back to the campground.
So… The car is back and will be used for storage and for a "trailer" to bring the items we have with us back to Maine. Then I will work with the dealership where we bought it and see if we can find resolution to this. If no resolution is found - we will let the bank have the P.O.S. back. I hate to do that but will not continue to make payments on something that is designed to cost the owner thousands of dollars to fix when it has a mechanical failure.
I will give the dealership in South Austin credit though, when we went to pick up the car I met with the service manager and explained to him that I should not have to pay for a repair that was not needed. He stated that the old Cam Shaft Sensor was not reading correctly and therefor was part of the problem. But he backed down a little when I said that if the timing belt went that would put the crank shaft and the cam shaft out of time with each other and that would throw a code. So he met me half way - we paid for the part (about $122.00) instead of the whole amount. I figured that was about the best I could get. I am still not sure I should have had to pay for the part either, but at least I didn't have to pay the full amount.
Tonya and I have both been battling a cold or allergies or something since we got here to Austin. While the weather in Texas has been great overall - we've both suffered from more sinus related issues this winter than we ever did in Maine. The weather here in Austin has been fantastic overall. Far less rain than in Coldspring and far warmer. Lots of days out on the job, we hit the mid 80's for temps. I realize that probably sounds like it is great but I'll tell you, this guy from Maine feels it out on the job!
We are looking forward to our trip home. We were looking forward to having the money to finally take some weekend trips around Texas, however that is more difficult now that we don’t have a car to take those trips in. I am fortunate enough to have a company truck to run back and forth to work but we can't take it on the day trips we wanted to take. We will rent a car one of these weekends so that we can do something other than sit at the campground all weekend long, but we have to ensure we've got what we need to get home first.
It won't be long now. We will be leaving Austin on May 1st and headed to Dallas - Fort Worth area for a day or so to visit an old friend of Tonya's. After that we will be making steady progress toward Maryland to see our son Jason for a few days. We expect to be in Maine by May 15th where we will begin the next chapter of our Journey!
Some of the downfalls of this journey have been that nothing feels permanent but that is also the joy of it. Knowing that if things don’t work out the way we hope, we can move on to whatever we decide is next is what freedom is all about. Is there a downside to it? Yeah there is. There have been some tough times financially over the past 6 months and certainly some unexpected issues we've had to deal with. I have to say though, I've dealt with them without becoming overly upset. Even the issue with the car I've been able to just let it roll off my back. There is nothing we can do about it. Therefore there is no point in worrying about it. That is a nice mindset to have about life. You simply move past it and do what you can do.
As stated, we are looking forward to having the summer with family and friends in Maine. We've made friends out here during the past 6 months. We've re-established some old friendships. All in all I feel that we've made the right decision for us. I realize this type of lifestyle is certainly not for the faint of heart and is not for everyone, but for us it has reduced the high levels of stress to a more manageable level of stress.
We have decided to re-vamp our plans for next winter. Instead of going to Arizona, we will be going to Florida. We've not exactly sure what part at this time as we need to do more research into that, but we are going with the intention of both of us finding permanent jobs and making Florida our home. Again, all things are subject to change. If we get to Florida and just don't like it - we'll move on to someplace else and try again until we are happy with the place and the life.
The single most important lesson we've learned so far it that we can live with much less "Stuff" than we did while living in a sticks and bricks home. This 23 foot RV is cramped, it is small, but we've survived without getting on each others nerves. There is a whole movement in this Country where people are downsizing and living in small houses (some with no move square footage than we have), in a slightly different way - that is what we are doing.
With the winter that Maine has had this year, we are confident that if we had not made this decision we would not have survived financially in that State. So while it has not been all the excitement that we first thought it would be we still do not regret the decision to leave. It is too soon to tell what future summers will look like. Too soon to know if we'll get to spend any significant time in Maine in the summers to come. So we will be looking forward to making the most of this summer with family and friends.
Regardless of what the future holds, we are looking forward to seeing what comes next in our lives, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I will update again probably when we are on the road heading for Maine.
Take Care and Happy Easter!
Soaring Eagle…
If you'd like to sign up for our blog posts please click the link below and enter your e-mail address. You will be notified of future blog posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment and support in our endeavor.