Good morning! It's been a little while since I last wrote. The New Year has begun with a bang! I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger! Seriously, I've had a lot of work that has come my way over the past few weeks. That is good! I'll take it while I can get it.
We hope that all of our family and friends had a great Christmas and a Happy & Safe New Year. We had a great day on Christmas. We spent the morning at home in our cozy RV - Just Tonya and I. I was feeling a little down, missing family and friends. But we had Christmas dinner with our good friends Mark & Susan, and James & Amanda, (who are actually more like extended family). Susan is a Great cook and we had a wonderful meal and a great time visiting with them. I had Deep Fried Turkey for the first time and it was fantastic! I will vote to have my turkey deep fried from now on!
For New Years, we played the Rock'N-E Campground (where we are Camp-Hosting). It seemed rather odd to be playing a New Year's Eve Show - Outside! We had a heater that was behind us while we played to just keep the chill off. We had a good show and played for 4 hours - from 6 pm to 10 pm. It was a good time and we had some generous tips to boot. I went to work on New Years Day on a painting job just north of Houston in a town called Kingwood. I worked 9 hours on New Years Day.
I got a call on New Year's Day to book Tonya and I at the "Funky Monkey." We booked the show for January 3rd from 7 pm to 11 pm. We had a great show there after battling some technical difficulties with the PA system and being too loud. But we managed to get control of it and made about $100.00 in tips in addition to the pay from the tavern.
In short, I've been working every day from New Years on until Thursday of this week. I've had a few days off that were very welcomed since on of the jobs I did was an install of a 4 ton Central Air unit that had us on the job for 20 hours straight! I can't keep working those kinds of hours. I am not young anymore and that takes too much toll on me. I've just got my sleep straightened out.
Needless to say, Tonya and I have not had a chance to get out and visit other areas of Texas that we'd like to visit yet. When we have the money we don't have the time, when we have the time we don't have the money. You know how that works. We've had quite a long stretch of cold, wet weather here in Texas. We are hoping for a warm up soon with some sunshine to go with it. The thing about the Texas rains are that when it rains here they measure it in inches - much like they measure the snow up in the North-east. The red clay that many of the roads are made out of down here get very muddy and slick after a rain. That makes for some interesting driving.
Tonya and I are starting to prepare for our time back home this spring/summer. We are actively seeking out Camp-Hosting positions around the mid-coast area or in southern Maine. Very soon, I'll be sending out-reach e-mails to prospective gigs around the State of Maine to try and fill our schedule for the summer.
When we began this journey I had a plan for travel for the first couple of years. We were supposed to go home for the summer, then head to Arizona for winter 2015. We are re-thinking that at this point and may opt to go to Central / Southern Florida for the winter 2015 instead.
Our experience here in East Texas has taught us that we need to do more intensive research on prospective areas before we travel there. We really want to be playing more music than we have been and there just isn't that much in this area. We still are enjoying ourselves, but we want to ensure that financially things are better in the next area that we settle for the winter. We want to have more available income to be able to spend more time seeing the sights.
Well, I guess that's about all for this installment. Not much has been happening in our lives other than the same ol' Grind. We are working toward making things better and getting more musical gigs. We will update again in a couple of weeks. Until then… Take Care and stay warm.
Soaring Eagle…
If you'd like to sign up for our blog posts please click the link below and enter your e-mail address. You will be notified of future blog posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment and support in our endeavor.